Job Opportunity at Geita Gold Mining Ltd (GGML), Legal Counsel
Job Title : Legal Counsel
Geita Gold Mining Ltd (GGML) is Tanzania’s leading gold producer with a single operation in Geita Region . The company is a subsidiary of AngloGold Ashanti , an international gold producer headquartered in South Africa , with operations in more than ten countries , in four continents . The mine is situated in the Lake Victoria Goldfields of North Western Tanzania , only about 85 km’s from Mwanza City and 20 km’s South East of the nearest point of Lake Victoria . The company has its head office in Geita , only 5 Km’s west of the fast-growing town of Geita , and also a supporting office in Dar es Salaam . Applications are invited from ambitious , energetic and performance driven individuals to fill in vacant position(s) mentioned below :
A University graduate with a degree in Laws . Masters degree may constitute an added advantage .
A registered Advocate of the High Court of Tanzania and subordinate courts thereto and licensed to practice to the law in Tanzania .
Knowledge in legal practice in Tanzania , procedures and principles pertaining to such practice .
Litigation , policy-making , knowledge of administrative law , corporate , environmental and mining laws , policies , and regulations .
Experience in the mining or extractive industry is an added advantage .
At least 7 years of experience practicing corporate , mining , natural resources law or general aspects of the law .
Proven experience in criminal prosecution or defense and civil litigation .
Strong interpersonal skills , customer-oriented mindset , excellent problems solving capacity as well as analytical and organizational skills .
Skilled in the analysis and interpretation of legal documents , instruments and policies which have or can potentially impact the business of the Company .
Ability to work independently , under minimum supervision , under pressure and deliver by meeting deadlines .
Purpose of the Role :
The successful candidate will be tasked to deal with legal and regulatory affairs of Geita Gold Mining Limited from its site as well as provision of general but timely , effective and professional legal advice in issues related to Labour and industrial relation issues , environmental , land take and acquisition , community relations , compliance matters , human rights issues , contract drafting and review as well as any matter affecting or which may potentially affect the business and which may require legal intervention or attention .
The following will form part and parcel of duties and accountabilities : 1 . Litigation
- Enter appearance in the prosecution or in defense of the Company and its resources in all judicial and quasi¬judicial bodies including regulatory bodies for and on behalf of the Company
- Provide active , proactive and effective oversight of all litigation matters relating to the company including maintaining accurate case reports and records
- Assist Senior Legal Counsel in formulating an effective strategy for the prevention , management and resolution of disputes .
- As directed by Senior Legal Counsel , advise and engage management at site in all decision making processes concerning litigation
- Draft necessary documents and correspondences
- In consultation with the Senior Legal Counsel /Company Secretary , Liaise with external counsel representing or handling matters for and on behalf of the Company .
- 2 . Employment and Labour Relations
- In consultation with the Human Resources Department provide guidance , training or any related services as shall be directed by the line manager and other senior managers on labour compliance matters and advice department on general legal aspects of labour , industrial relations and other aspects of the business .
- Provide advice on relevant corporate , mining , environmental , labour standards , policies and procedures .
Main or Key 3 . Regulatory and Compliance
Attend regulatory and compliance aspects of GGM’s operations before and when they occur or materialize .
Monitor and record legal and legislative developments affecting or which may have an implication on the Company’s operations .
Provide oversight and support on matters related to permitting and licensing and ensuring timely availability submission of statutory reports to relevant regulatory bodies .
Prepare , update and regularly advise and sensitize site Management compliance related matters .
Draft or review Company policies , contracts or other documents and to ensure that rights , privileged , entitlements of the Company acquired or emanating from any law , contract or engagement with third parties are protected and enforced where necessary , where infringed .
Analyze and identify risks potential presenting legal risks or liability relating and emanating from environmental management and which may negatively impact or expose the company into a liability .
Participate in meeting with stakeholders such as OSHA , MEM , Local Government where requested to do so by Senior Legal Counsel .
Mode of Application :
Application cover letter must quote the job position and Number detailed CV , copies of relevant certificates , email and telephone contacts , names and addresses of three referees , to be forwarded to the below address .
You will be required to bring original certificates if you are contacted fa interviews .
Contact Address :
Senior Manager of Human Resources ,
Geita Gold Mining Ltd .
P.O.Box 532 .
Application letters should reach the above address on or before 9th July 2019.- 1730hrs
BEWARE OF CONMEN! GGML does not receive money in exchange for a job position . Should you be asked for money in exchange for a job offer or suspect such activity , please report this immediately to our Security Department , Investigation Unit , by calling +255 28 216 01 40 Ext 1559 (rates apply) or use our whistle-blowing channels by sending an SMS to +27 73 573 8075 (SMS rates apply) or emailing email@example.com or use the internet at www.tip-offs.com .