Requisition ID : req6407
Job Title : Deputy Director of Programs
We’re looking for the next leader of our programs team : the Deputy Director for Programs (DDP) who will be based in Dar Es Salaam with regular travel within and outside of Tanzania . In this role , you’ll provide strategic leadership to our dynamic portfolio of programs . As a senior leader , your core responsibilities will include program oversight , grants and budget management , program quality , strategic direction and fundraising .
You’ll report directly to the Country Director (CD) and lead a team of eight experienced professionals in programs , grants , M&E and Research .
Highlights of Key Responsibilities :
• You are the programmatic lead for the Tanzania country program , covering implementation , grants management and business development .
• You lead on proposal and concept note development , and define with the CD the strategic direction of our programmatic and fundraising efforts .
• You mentor staff , providing guidance and support finance and grants teams in writing proposal narratives and budgets .
• You supervise and support the grants team’s consolidation of donor reports .
• You work to improve project management by rolling out new project cycle meetings to improve oversight , coordination and collaboration (monthly Budget versus Actual meetings , project opening meetings , implementation meetings , lessons learnt meetings , etc)
• You represent the IRC in donor and partner meetings , expanding our participation and visibility in key coordination forums .
• You monitor project implementation against work plans , while providing guidance to project leads .
• You foster a positive and productive professional work environment and professional relationships amongst staff; and facilitate productive working relationships between the program and operations staff .
Specific Responsibilities :
Leadership , Representation and Communication
In this position you are part of the program’s senior leadership , and will set the tone and pace for the programs team . As DDP , you will lead the largest department in the organization .
• Provide leadership and supervisory management to the programs department , as a key member of the SMT , including mobilization and stewardship of resources , program quality and accountability , and performance management .
• Drive the quality implementation and support of programs , informed by the country program’s Strategy Action Plan (SAP), monitoring and evaluation systems and technical unit support .
• Supervise senior program staff
• Actively engage with donors , partner agencies , and the humanitarian community in Tanzania to ensure IRC is strongly represented in coordination and advocacy efforts .
• Represent IRC Tanzania at NGO , interagency and governmental meetings .
• Act as the focal point for program-related communication between IRC country programs in the region and worldwide offices .
• Oversee programmatic inputs to advocacy efforts both in-country and globally .
Program Strategy , Design and Fundraising
You and the CD will collaborate regularly to set the strategic direction for the country program and lead fundraising efforts accordingly . You will need to be forward-thinking in translating our ambitious strategy into concrete action .
• Leader in driving the IRC Tanzania’s ambitious SAP , with a particular focus on delivery of our commitments towards the strategic objectives . Specifically , work to ensure all programs are aligned with the outcomes and evidence framework (OEF) and designed along the guidance of the “Good and Great Standards .”
• Position IRC for future donor resources by initiating assessments (including qualitative and quantitative data gathering), and by furthering IRC’s reflective thought leadership around program quality in Tanzania .
• Lead and support sector coordinators and programs teams to collaborate with grants/finance teams to develop responsive , competitive , evidenced-based , and cost-efficient funding applications .
• Provide mentorship to program staff regarding tools and strategies for programming that is based on input from communities , a deep understanding of the context , and evidence of technical effectiveness .
• Provide leadership support to the programming and grants teams to develop competitive , evidence-based and cost-effective funding applications .
• Provide guidance , strategies and tools to ensure that programming choices are based on needs assessment findings (primary & secondary data) and analysis , input from communities , a thorough understanding of context , technical best practices , and operational viability .
• Formulate integrated programming initiatives so that technical sectors complement each other and promote mainstreaming of protection principles and gender-responsive approaches .
Program Implementation & Grant Management
As DDP , you’ll be our main lead on all issues related to program implementation and quality , and will be the main driver of our strategy ambitions and the implementation of the IRC’s Good & Great Standards for program implementation . You will approve requisitions , work plans and budgets .
• Provide overall leadership and management of IRC Tanzania’s programming portfolio , ensuring strategically coherent program direction , well-managed growth , and compliance with IRC and donor regulations .
• Drive effective management of program implementation through structured work plans , spending plans , monitoring plans and regular field support visits; ensure that risks limiting achievement of objectives are reported and rapidly addressed .
• Coordinate with other members of Senior Management Team on appropriate management , compliance and performance standards , as well as effective systems for budget management , knowledge management and risk management .
• Strengthen our existing M&E systems alongside the M&E team and programming staff; ensure data is used for decision-making and improvement of outcomes for our beneficiaries .
• Support M&E Coordinator to regularly review progress against indicators . Work with M&E Coordinator and technical coordinators to put accountability mechanisms in place for beneficiary feedback .
• In collaboration with the IRC global research and innovation unit , develop and oversee management of Tanzania’s research hub including through direct management of the research hub coordinator .
• Regularly travel to the field to visit projects .
• In coordination with finance , operations , and grants staff ensure compliance with donor requirements .
• In collaboration with finance and operations , contribute to the development and periodic reforecasting of the annual operating budget .
• In collaboration with the field management , ensure that programming staff are well trained to properly manage project budgets .
• Meet with programming , grants and finance staff regularly to review budget comparison reports .
• Mitigate risk by collaborating with the Finance Department to ensure that programming staff fully understand financial and administrative processes involved in project budget cycles .