Job Title: : Finance Officer – Rukwa
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Finance Team Lishe Endelevu project
POST TYPE: National
Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.
As part of these responsibilities the post holder will promote a culture of keeping children safe, and ensure that potential harm to children (by our own staff and/or as a result of how we do our work) is identified and addressed on an ongoing basis. The post holder should report and respond to interventions as determined by position related responsibilities identified in the Child Safeguarding Policy.
Under direct supervision of Field Office In-charge, the Finance Officer is expected to perform financial duties around accounting cycle and internal control environment, including; to ensure accuracy of accounting records & system, adherence of organizational policies & procedures and to ensure compliance of statutory obligations.
S/he is expected to ensure that financial regulations and controls are in place at all times and all the financial transactions are administered, recorded and reported in accordance with both Save the Children and donor policies and procedures. The post holder will ensure that financial record keeping is accurate and meet the required standard.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Save the Children has been operational in Tanzania since 1986 providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered in support of GoT priorities and policies both directly and through local partners. Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, health & nutrition, HIV/TB and emergency response. In 2012, as part of a global reorganization process, Save the Children combined programmes of SCUK, SCUS, SC Sweden to create a single operation in Tanzania.
Save the Children has recently secured USAID funding for Multi-sectoral Nutrition Activity in Tanzania “Lishe Endelevu” to be implemented in Dodoma, Morogoro, Iringa, and Rukwa. The Finance Officer will be based in the field office directly supporting Lishe Endelevu program activities.
Reports to: Field Office In-charge [i.e. Project Area Manager]
Dimensions: with dotted line to Finance and Grants Specialist – Dodoma
Number of direct reports: None
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
The position holder will ensure that all accounting transactions are recorded in Agresso in compliance with:
Save the Children policies and procedures as well as Scheme of Delegation
USAID donor’s policies and procedures and
Statutory obligations [relevant TAX and VAT laws, compliance with GAAP]
The post holder will ensure that each accounting transaction have a proper audit trail and supporting documents. The post holder will also ensure that the supporting documents are secured and archived in a retrievable manner
S/he will ensure Scanning of payment vouchers for uploading them in Agresso /shared folder
The post holder will be the focal point for all internal and external audits at field level from accounting side and will ensure that all audit queries are addressed timely and in an appropriate manner.
Cash Flow Management & Projections
S/he will work with budget holders to estimate funds request on a timely basis to ensure resources are in place for carrying out project activities
In consultation with Area Manager, s/he will ensure preparation and submission of cash flow requirements for the field office
S/he will ensure that sufficient but not excessive funds are available for carrying out project activities in the field office
S/he will ensure all payments to suppliers are made in a timely and accurate manner following organizational policies
The post holder will manage and control cash in hand for field office including ensuring weekly and monthly cash reconciliation and daily cash counts.
The post holder will also ensure proper management of field office bank account, ensure that bank mandate is followed and signatories list is up to date for field office. The post holder will also support Finance & Grants Specialist for bank reconciliations on monthly basis
S/he will keep oversight of cash & bank balance and will ensure field office maintains its KPI for cash balances at the end of each month
Online Mobile Payments
Makes sure Events and workshop Mobile payments are planned properly for cash flow purpose and during the events documentation are collected and initiated for timely payments.
Coordinate with program team on Mobile Bulk payments, get their activity schedule and likely payments coming week/month for timely support.
Guide program team on the expected compliance documents for payments.
Prepare Excel based required Mobile Payment information, get complete supporting documentation and share approved payment documents to Dar Office for payment.
Coordinate with Dar Office Colleagues for payment and subsequent status.
Keep up to date tracking sheet for all payment submitted to Dar Office.
Ensure all transactions field offices are recorded accurately from all aspects in Agresso and system is up to date for postings on weekly basis. This may require submission of Agresso GLACOS for review of Finance & Grants Specialist before posting
Follow-up on pending advance /receivable balances from staff member and ensure compliance of SCI policy is adhered at all levels. S/he will prepare a list of outstanding floats for Area Manager on a weekly basis and follow up to ensure retirement of all floats as per policy
The post holder will ensure accuracy of posting in accordance Save the Children Cost Allocation Methodology and Premises Guidelines
S/he will ensure field office KPIs for recording and posting are met according to set benchmarks i.e. weekly basis
Budget vs Actual Report
Assist Budget Holders for periodic forecast and ensure that the budget holders understand forecast process and their budget forecast is aligned with the activities plan
Assist Area Manager for Budget vs. Actual review and facilitate BVA review meetings on monthly basis with program teams
Ensure that action points from those meeting are followed and corrections are accounted for in the system
- The post holder will ensure that an up to date assets register is maintained by supply chain team
- The post holder will assist Finance and Grants Specialist for stock counts and reconciliations on periodic basis
- S/he will assist the Programme Manager and Finance & Grants Specialist of any operational challenges or discrepancies relating to the financial management of the programme in a timely manner.
- In consultation with Finance & Grants Specialist and Head of Awards, support program teams on grants compliance matters and other donor /USAID rules and regulations
- Represent the Finance Department on the Procurement Committee, in opening and evaluation of procurement bids
- Ensure SCI’s policies on Fraud and Dishonesty are followed in daily routines, and complied at all level in accounting cycle.
- Ensure induction training for all staff on matters associated with finance & compliance, and periodic refresher training at field office level
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities
Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages other team members to do the same
Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
Values diversity and different people’s perspectives, able to work cross-culturally
Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
Willing to take disciplined risks.
Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Commitment to Save the Children values
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor Degree/ Diploma in Accounting/Finance.
- Master Degree/ ACCA /CPA is highly desirable and will have a value added for application
- At least 4 years accounting and administration experience preferably in NGO Sector
- Knowledge of computerized accounting application is must requirement with strong analytical skills in spreadsheets
- Demonstrated good skills and experience in managing financial, office administration and logistics systems
- Attention to detail and accuracy, strict adherence to organizational policies, procedures and internal control systems.
- Excellent inter-personal communication skills and strong analytical approach and attention to detail. Fluency in written and oral English communication skills is a requirement.
- Ability to support, work with and interpret financial reports to staff with limited financial skills.
- Commitment to, and understanding of, Save the Children’s Vision, Mission, values, principals, and the Child Protection Policy
Closing date: 26 Jan 2020 – 23:59 EAT
Location: Dodoma, Tanzania, United Republic of
Type: Fixed-term contract
CLICK HERE TO APPLY