Job Opportunity at UNDP Tanzania – National Consultant – Evaluation Support Officer
Job Title: National Consultant – Evaluation Support Officer (Inclusive Growth) – Independent
Country Programme ReviewLocation : Home based with travel around Tanzania
Application Deadline : 18-Feb-20 (Midnight New York, USA)
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 02-Mar-2020
Duration of Initial Contract : 30 days between March and July 2020
BackgroundThe Independent Evaluation Office (IEO) of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) conducts independent country programme reviews (ICPRs) to support the development of Country Programme Documents and strengthen the accountability of UNDP to national stakeholders and the Executive Board.
IEO will conduct an ICPR of the UNDP Tanzania programme, commencing in the beginning of 2020, to feed into the preparation of UNDP’s new programme starting from 2021. The ICPR will be conducted in close collaboration with the Tanzania Government, UNDP’s country offices, and the UNDP Regional Bureau for Africa.
The IEO is recruiting one consultant that can contribute substantively to the evaluation, under the guidance and supervision of the IEO’s Lead Evaluator (LE). This ToR covers the services expected from the specialist recruited to cover the inclusive growth-related components of the Tanzania country programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the supervision and guidance of the LE, the consultant will contribute to the analysis of the country programme by providing technical expertise and knowledge in the assigned area(s). The work can be expected to include:
- Prior to the mission, conduct preliminary research, compile documentation, and complete analysis in areas to be covered by the report;
- Plan, support and participate fully in the data collection mission in the country, including by taking a lead role in interviews in assigned areas of responsibility;
- With the support of the associate lead evaluator, ensure appropriate documentation of interviews undertaken in areas of assigned responsibility;
- Deliver high quality analysis of the effectiveness of UNDP programmes in assigned areas, under broad overall direction from the LE;
- Participation in the evaluation team’s meetings and analysis of key findings, conclusions and recommendations leading to the preparation of the final report.
- Strong analytical skills, including ability to quickly assess a diverse range of information with a discerning sense for quality of data; and
- Good mastery of information technology required for organized presentation of information.
- Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Adhere to the principle of confidentiality and ethical code of conducts during the evaluation;
- Ability to work under pressure, multi-tasking skills; and
- Available to travel and conduct required analysis within the agreed timelines.
- Corporate Competencies
Ability to work in multicultural and multidisciplinary teams, acting with professionalism, diplomacy, tact and courtesy.
Required Skills and ExperienceEducation
Advanced degree or equivalent in a field relevant to the scope of the assignment, such as Evaluation, Economics, Social Sciences, Public Policy
- Evaluation skills and experience;
- Experience supporting and/or contributing to evaluation missions of international organizations
- Expertise in one of the following key focus areas of the Tanzania programme is advantageous: economic policy focused on pro-poor growth and poverty reduction; energy and extractives policy; legal sector reform and access to justice.
- Familiarity with UNDP or UN operations in Tanzania, advantageous.
Language and other knowledge and skills:
- Excellent proven oral and written communication skills in English.
- Knowledge of Swahili is an advantage.
Applicants are invited to upload as one combined document the following documents to the UNDP Jobs site:
CV in the format known as P11;
A completed Confirmation of Interest and Submission of Financial Proposal Form that indicates your daily rate for this consultancy;
A short cover letter that highlights previous experience of high quality acaemic or applied research in evaluation and data collection, preferably in Tanzania and any experience related to inclusive growth and other UNDP areas of work.
Please note that the system can only accept one uploaded document therefore all documents must be combined into a single document for upload.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.