Job Tittle: Head of Network Engineering
Posting Country: Tanzania, United Republic of
Date Posted: 11-Mar-2020
Full Time / Part Time: Full Time
Contract Type: Permanent
Joining Vodacom is more than a job, what we do matters. We don’t just carry minutes, texts and data – we carry people’s lives. And that’s a huge responsibility. If you think for a minute about the people you rely on…the likelihood is they rely on us.
Customers are at the heart of everything we do and we want to make a difference to the lives of our customers, and the communities in which we live and work. We support our people to give something back to the causes that mean the most to them through helping them give time and money to the charities they love.
And what’s it like to work here? We have created an environment where you can look forward to coming to work and are empowered to be at your best. We offer flexibility in how you work that helps you do your job in a way that suits you, opportunities to help you grow and progress throughout your career and a choice of benefits to suit your lifestyle.
- Formulation and execution of the overall network technology strategy aligned with the Group Technology blueprint and roadmap and with the local market business strategy to ensure network coverage and quality differentiation and service user-experience superiority.
- To lead the entire Network Engineering team toward excellent performance standards by monitoring, analysing and controlling end-to-end Network architecture and service design, site rollout and program management, KPI’s and SLA assurance to ensure operational excellence and adherence to company strategy, goals and Regulatory compliance.
- Network CAPEX & OPEX budget planning and execution through implementation of cost optimization initiatives, effective program management and commercially driven network investment for maximization of financial returns.
Key accountabilities and decision ownership:
1. Leadership (people and stakeholders)
- Develop and maintain a strong control environment which ensures compliance to all relevant policies, agreements codes, values of the company and local Authorities.
- Define and lead the strategic vision of the department for World Class Operational Standards and processes and ensure it is communicated and agreed by all key stakeholders.
- Establishing key deliverables and frequently review as per group policies to ensure that the team can deliver against targets.
2. Network Technology Strategy Formulation & Execution
- Leverage technological advancements and evolution to formulate a robust Network Strategy for organizational competitive advantage with adequate redundancy and resilience
- Develop Network architecture and service design roadmap to ensure efficient network coverage & capacity enhancement and continuous network performance improvement.
- Develop, Implement and continuously evaluate network architecture and service design in compliance to International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) guidelines for Electro Magnetic Fields (EMF) exposure.
- Ensure execution of end-to-end Project implementation to meet the Program Management KPI and timelines. The Program management plans should provide operations support.
- Ensure execution of the Network strategy through budget planning and control, investment prioritization and cost optimization.
3. Performance Management & Reporting
- Review, direct and provide updates when required on performance of the department, divisions and processes within.
- Identify, promote and implement initiatives to improve Network performance.
- Working closely with Business partners to enable a transition and executions of projects and new operating models when required.
- Support the team in resolving operational process and control issues.
- Ensure that the service delivered by vendors to the company is well taken care of and provide feedback and reviews to ensure smooth running of operations to Vodacom’s advantage.
- Maintain updated records, certificates and reporting of network architecture and service design in compliance to International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) guidelines for Electro Magnetic Fields (EMF) exposure.
- Provide timely feedback and direction in case of abnormalities and exceptional requirements.
4. Organizing & Staff Management
- Work with other departments and supporting stakeholders to ensure the Network Engineering Department receive required support from supporting departments such as Legal, Human Resource, Finance, etc. and all cross-departmental issues are resolved adequately.
- Maintain a stable, highly skilled staff complement. Ensuring availability of core competences, training & development requirements.
- Communicate and network effectively, establishing and maintaining positive relations and partnerships with authorities, commissioners and other key stakeholders.
- Ensure that internal communication processes are effective and inclusive.
5. The Spirit of Vodacom
- Earn customer loyalty – It starts and end with the customer. We aspire to be a brand they love, by earning their trust and providing brilliant experiences. We work hard to simplify things for them and deliver what our customers want and need, every day.
- Create the future – We think big, taking risks to break new ground. We ask ‘what if’ to build amazing products and services for our customers. We are courageous in creating a better future for all.
- Experiment, learn fast – We are always learning. We try things, measure our success, keeping the best and learning from the rest. This is how we move rapidly to grow ourselves and our business.
- Get it done, together – We give and take ownership to make the most of our many talents. We trust each other to get things done. It’s up to each of us to make it happen.
Must have technical/professional qualifications:
- University Degree in Telecommunication/ Electrical Engineering.
- Advanced knowledge of telecommunications network & service architecture, trends and evolution
- Project management
- At least 5 years’ experience in Telecommunications Operations Management Inclusive of at least 3 years leadership/supervisory experience.
- Proven experience of working with multiple suppliers / vendors / partners
- Proven experience of working in complex regulatory environment
- IT background provides an added advantage
- End-to-end knowledge of Network Engineering processes.
Core competencies, knowledge and experience
- Strategic thinking
- Performance management
- Stakeholder engagement
- Senior Leadership Potential indicators: Engage, Applied Thinking, Change Management and Drive
- Good communication and sound interpersonal skills
- Analytical, Problem-solving and Decision-making skills
- Resilient – ability to work independently and under pressure.
Network Access Technology
Data Analytics and Insights
Mobile and Network Security
System, Service and Solution Development
Testing and Evaluation
Automation and Robotics
Commitment from Vodacom
Vodacom is committed to attracting, developing and retaining the very best people by offering a flexible, motivating and inclusive workplace in which talent is truly recognized, developed and rewarded. We believe that diversity plays an important role in the success of our business and we are committed to creating an inclusive work environment which respects, values, celebrates and makes the most of people’s individual differences – we are not only multinational but multicultural too. At Vodacom you will have access to our excellent flexible benefits programme that you would expect from any global company.