Posting Country: Tanzania, United Republic of
Full Time / Part Time: Full Time
Contract Type: Permanent
Joining Vodacom is more than a job, what we do matters. We don’t just carry minutes, texts and data – we carry people’s lives. And that’s a huge responsibility. If you think for a minute about the people you rely on…the likelihood is they rely on us.
Customers are at the heart of everything we do and we want to make a difference to the lives of our customers, and the communities in which we live and work. We support our people to give something back to the causes that mean the most to them through helping them give time and money to the charities they love.
And what’s it like to work here? We have created an environment where you can look forward to coming to work and are empowered to be at your best. We offer flexibility in how you work that helps you do your job in a way that suits you, opportunities to help you grow and progress throughout your career and a choice of benefits to suit your lifestyle.
The manager will need to specifically assist HOD on tax advisory, compliance and planning. He will be the key contact of the tax team to internal stakeholders by amongst other things advising the business on tax risks and planning/savings. He will also support the tax team on compliance to ensure timely payment of tax due, and reduce risk to business from penalties and interests as a result of non-compliance of tax laws in the United Republic of Tanzania. The manager will also need to implement policies and procedures to effectively manage the tax position of the company at any given time throughout the month and annually and to advise the management in all tax related matters and new provisions imposed by the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania that have effects in tax related matters. The manager will be driver of the tax audits, tax investigations and disputes by liaising with TRA Tax auditors and assessors, Tax consultants and external auditors as well as other stakeholders.
• Becoming a key contact of the tax team to internal and external stakeholders
• Advise the commercial and business teams on tax implications of different products and transactions
• Manage, improve and provide recommendation on development of information systems supporting the tax function
• Compile and maintain financial models to be used for the tax computations and tax payments. Implement measures to manage the risk of penalties and interests as a results of non- compliance
• Propose, review and implement tax management policies and procedures
• Review all tax returns, computations and payments for M-Pesa Limited
• Manage relationships with TRA, Tax Consultants and tax lawyers
• Monthly reconciliation of the VAT, Withholding tax and Excise duty for Mpesa Limited
• Coordinate and ensure timely submission of monthly tax report and computation for M-Pesa Limited
• Coordinate the activities of personnel in the tax department, recommending measures to improve performance and increase efficiency.
• Recommend personnel action such as recruitment, promotions, disciplinary measures, training of future employees
• Advise the business on tax implications of different transactions and make judgement on circumstances where external advice is required
• Liaise with the Group Tax on a regular basis
• Liaise with external parties, e.g. TRA and Tax Consultants
Core competencies, knowledge and experience
• Minimum of  years’ experience in a financial and tax role [in a public company]
• Telecommunication industry experience advantageous
• Thorough understanding of the direct and indirect tax laws for Tanzania
• Strong understanding of the tax accounting
• Strong computer literacy especially Advance Microsoft Excel skills
• Financial policies, procedures and systems
• To be up to date with the latest legislation governing the tax function
• Strong interpersonal skills and customer orientated approach
• Leadership skills
• Analytical skills
• Problem solving skills
• Ability to network with other players in the market
• Ability to manage staff as well as facilitate change
• College or University graduate with a degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration
• CPA (T), ACCA or specific tax qualification e.g. Postgraduate Diploma in Taxation
Commitment from Vodacom
Vodacom is committed to attracting, developing and retaining the very best people by offering a flexible, motivating and inclusive workplace in which talent is truly recognized, developed and rewarded. We believe that diversity plays an important role in the success of our business and we are committed to creating an inclusive work environment which respects, values, celebrates and makes the most of people’s individual differences – we are not only multinational but multicultural too. At Vodacom you will have access to our excellent flexible benefits programme that you would expect from any global company.