Associate Legal Officer
Posting Title : ASSOCIATE LEGAL OFFICER, P2
Job Code Title : ASSOCIATE LEGAL OFFICER
Department/Office : International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals
Duty Station : ARUSHA
Posting Period : 21 October 2019 – 19 November 2019
Job Opening Number : 19-Legal Affairs-RMT-125439-R-Arusha (R)
Staffing Exercise N/A
Org . Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Office of the President at the Arusha branch of the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals . The incumbent will work under the guidance of the President and the Chef de Cabinet and Principal Legal Advisor and will report to the Chef de Cabinet and Principal Legal Advisor .
Under the guidance of the President , the Chef de Cabinet , and the Legal Officers at both branches , the incumbent will provide legal support with respect to the President’s mandated functions , including drafting and reviewing orders and decisions; analyzing the relevant law , rules and policies; and providing specialised legal advice to the President and legal staff of the Office . The incumbent will further support the Office by drafting letters , memoranda , talking points , position papers , and speeches , and will provide policy advice . The Associate Legal Officer will perform other duties as assigned .
- Professionalism : Knowledge of procedural and substantive law at the international level; ability to conduct comprehensive legal analysis; ability to analyze and interpret international legal instruments; ability to develop and present results/recommendations/opinions clearly and concisely , both in writing and orally .
- Possesses excellent drafting skills and the ability to plan own work and manage conflicting priorities . Shows pride in work and in achievements .
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter . Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments , observing deadlines and achieving results .
- Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns . Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges . Remains calm in stressful situations .
- Communication – Speaks and writes clearly and effectively . Listens to others , correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately .
- Asks questions to clarify , and exhibits interest in having two way communication . Tailors language , tone , style and format to match the audience .
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed .
- Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals . Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others . Places team agenda before personal agenda . Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision , even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position . Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings .
- Planning and Organising – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies . Identifies priority activities and assignments , adjusts priorities as required . Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work . Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning . Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary . Uses time efficiently .
- Advanced university degree in law , preferably with specialization in international , criminal , humanitarian or administrative law . A first level university degree in law in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree .
- Minimum of 2 years of progressively responsible professional legal experience , at either the national or international level , preferably with an emphasis in criminal law , international law , humanitarian law or administrative law .
- Previous experience in one of the ad hoc Tribunals is highly desirable .
- English and French are the working languages of the Mechanism . For the post advertised , fluency in written and spoken English is required . Working knowledge of French is highly desirable .
- There may be a technical test followed by a competency-based interview .
- Current UN staff at the GS and FS level who meet the eligibility requirements are exceptionally permitted to apply . If selected , certain conditions will apply . All offers of appointment are subject to budgetary approval . Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply .
The appointment is limited to the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals . Appointment of the successful candidate on this position will be limited to the initial funding of the post . Extension of the appointment is subject to the extension of the mandate and/or the availability of funds . As the international tribunals are not integrated in the Secretariat , UN Staff Members serve on assignment or secondment from their parent department/office if selected . Appointments of staff members in the United Nations are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General . Staff Members are expected to move periodically to new functions in accordance with established rules and procedures , and may in this context be reassigned by the Secretary-General throughout the Organization based on the changing needs and mandates .
NOTE FOR PREVIOUSLY ROSTERED CANDIDATES
Roster candidates must express their interest and availability for published job openings by submitting an updated PHP and cover letter .
United Nations Considerations
According to article 101 , paragraph 3 , of the Charter of the United Nations , the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency , competence , and integrity . Candidates will not be considered for employment with the United Nations if they have committed violations of international human rights law , violations of international humanitarian law , sexual exploitation , sexual abuse , or sexual harassment , or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts . The term “sexual exploitation” means any actual or attempted abuse of a position of vulnerability , differential power , or trust , for sexual purposes , including , but not limited to , profiting monetarily , socially or politically from the sexual exploitation of another . The term “sexual abuse” means the actual or threatened physical intrusion of a sexual nature , whether by force or under unequal or coercive conditions . The term “sexual harassment” means any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature that might reasonably be expected or be perceived to cause offence or humiliation , when such conduct interferes with work , is made a condition of employment or creates an intimidating , hostile or offensive work environment , and when the gravity of the conduct warrants the termination of the perpetrator’s working relationship . Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment .
Due regard will be paid to the importance of recruiting the staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible . The United Nations places no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs . The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment .
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform , inspira . For more detailed guidance , applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant , which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the inspira account-holder homepage .
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable internal legislations of the United Nations including the Charter of the United Nations , resolutions of the General Assembly , the Staff Regulations and Rules , administrative issuances and guidelines . Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in inspira to be considered for the current job opening . No amendment , addition , deletion , revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted . Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application .
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION , INTERVIEW MEETING , PROCESSING , OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org