Position Summary :
The Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Expert will provide technical expertise for in-depth geospatial analyses of HIV epidemiologic and program data that can be directly applied to expedite the achievement of PEPFAR targets to attain and sustain control of the HIV epidemic . S/he will work with the Project Director and other technical leads to design and maintain geodatabases to conduct spatial analyses . S/he will provide support in this area to the donor , the Ministry of Health (MOH), and the ICAP project team .
The position is contingent upon the availability of grant funding .
Major Accountabilities :
• Supports geo-visualization of HIV/AIDS trends , facility-level clustering , and production of high-quality static cartographic maps to support project decision-making .
• Leads online and desktop spatial query analysis to enable system users to compare disease trends , hotspot analyses , or extract facility data at different spatial units including state , LGA or ward .
• Supports spatial data sharing across multiple formats and outputs such as GeoJSON , TopoJSON , TIFF , PNG , SVG , and JPEG .
• Supports multiple overlays using satellite imagery base map such as Google Maps , Open Street Map and other spatial datasets of interest .
• Designs and maintains geodatabases using field-acquired data , as well as data from third-party sources , including national government , universities , open-access datasets , and commercial datasets .
• Conducts spatial analyses to identify hotpots and trends of new infections identified through the program .
• Works with the Data Analytics and Visualization Specialist and the Health Information Systems (HIS) Specialist to integrate spatial analyses into project dashboards .
• Supports GPS-enabled tablet-based collection of geospatial and ancillary data during project implementation .
• Provides support to the project team on GIS data acquisition and data management; trains teams on the use of GIS , GPS-enabled tablets , and geospatial data; troubleshoots data collection and management challenges .
• Collaborates with the GIS department of the Tanzania government national bureau of statistics to reconcile discrepancies between master census files and GIS files .
• Performs other related duties , as directed .
• 5 years of demonstrated experience providing training on GIS , GPS , geospatial data , and relational database management systems (RDBMS).
• Experience working with issues relating to HIV/AIDS in resource-limited environments in sub-Saharan Africa , experience in Tanzania preferred .
• Proficiency using ESRI ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS for Server .
• Proficiency using SAS , STATA or R statistical software preferred .
• Advanced proficiency using ESRI ArcGIS for Desktop .
• Demonstrated programming experience using Python and SQL .
• Proficiency in geospatial and statistical methods and analysis .
• Demonstrated knowledge regarding best practices for cartographic design , metadata documentation , and projected coordinate systems .
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (e.g ., Excel , Word , Outlook , PowerPoint).
• Excellent skills in critical thinking and analysis .
• Excellent organizational and oral/written communication skills . Professional proficiency in English required .
Closing date : 15 Dec 2019