Marketing Volunteer Expert at IESC
Marketing Volunteer Expert
Proposed Level of Effort : Approximately 3 weeks
Anticipated Start Date : October 2019
Anticipated End Date : October 2019
Objectives of the Assignment
The volunteer will work with the marketing team of one Tanzanian MFI to improve its ability to develop marketing plans , manage marketing campaigns , manage its brand , and improve its knowledge of various selling techniques . The volunteer is expected to conduct a rapid assessment , followed by coaching and mentoring to the marketing team and formal training to a broader group of staff . The workshop should be participatory and practical , and participants should come away with an improved understanding of marketing concepts , techniques , skills and tools and their application in the financial services sector .
The Tanzania Enabling Growth through Investment and Enterprise Program (ENGINE) is a four-year , USAID-funded Feed the Future activity implemented by the International Executive Service Corps (IESC). The ENGINE program aims to streamline and enhance many of the regulatory , informational and financial channels that encourage domestic and foreign investment in the southern mainland agricultural regions of Mbeya , Morogoro , and Iringa , and in Zanzibar .
ENGINE works at the district level , using a broad-based approach to engage with district Local Government Authorities (LGAs), private sector associations , business development service providers , financial institutions and small and medium enterprises .
Tanzania’s financial services sector is highly competitive . Banks and microfinance institutions (MFIs) need to actively distinguish themselves in ways that attract and retain customers . This requires developing and implementing a robust marketing strategy . Marketing offers a powerful and effective way for financial institutions to tell their stories , connect with customers , and provide solutions to answer concerns and help them attain their goals . However , many financial institutions in Tanzania find it difficult to market effectively , as it requires not only an understanding of various techniques but a high level of understanding of human behavior .
ENGINE is seeking an experienced marketing professional to volunteer to work alongside a Tanzanian microfinance institution (MFI) to help it improve its marketing and selling .
The Expert Volunteer will complete the following tasks :
Prior to departure :
- After receiving a confirmation to work with ENGINE , the volunteer will coordinate closely with the IESC office in Tanzania , review available secondary information and identify any country or institution-specific information needed to tailor the materials to the local context .
- Develop effective workshop materials and finalize details of the assignment . The volunteer is encouraged to incorporate case studies and practical examples in the materials .
Upon arrival in Tanzania :
- Attend an orientation meeting with ENGINE Program staff in Dar es Salaam .
- Spend a few days with the MFI to get a better understanding of their operations , marketing , and sales teams , customers and management style . Also , provide mentorship to the appropriate staff as needed .
- Conduct a marketing workshop for staff focusing on experience-based and participatory approaches including brainstorming , group discussion with presentation , group work and sharing a hand-on experience . The volunteer should plan to cover the following topic areas :
Best practices in marketing;
- Marketing of banking services and products;
- The marketing environment; Identifying the motives and needs of customers;
- Customer’s behavior : individuals and corporate customers;
- Analyzing competitor behavior;
- Banking services , products , innovation , and pricing;
- Service quality and the relationship between bankers and customers;
- Marketing channels
- Strategy and marketing plan .
- Attend meetings with MFI’s senior leadership to provide high-level recommendations on marketing and branding improvements .
- Provide recommendations to the ENGINE program staff on potential follow-up assignments with the microfinance institution .
- Write a final report summarizing observations and recommendations , as well as follow-up plans .
- The final report is discussed in the section on the deliverables below .
- Attend a debriefing session with ENGINE COP and host organization staff members to provide feedback and discuss the recommended future to follow up on volunteer recommendations and capture impact .
Also Read :
- Deputy Director of Programs Job Opportunity at IRC
- Courier/Delivery Officer Job Opportunity at KaziniKwetu
- Assistant Accountant at Serene Microfinance Limited
- Jobs at UDSM Computing Centre, Systems Administrators
The Expert Volunteer will submit the following deliverables :
i) To be submitted prior to delivering the workshop :
- A summary of tasks and observations from FIs visits
- A list of 5-7 specific and actionable recommendations for the host organization(s). These recommendations will be reviewed during the debriefing session with ENGINE staff at the end of the assignment and the volunteer may revise them in their Final Report .
- A section listing the assignment objectives above and how they were met or why they were not met .
- Additionally , the Expert Volunteer will provide exit debriefings to the ENGINE staff .
- At least 10+ years of practical knowledge and experience in marketing , branding , customer service training , experience working in commercial and/or corporate banking is desired;
- University level of education in marketing , banking , finance , economics or related field;
- Candidates with a track record of successfully executed training and workshops will have priority;
- Advanced knowledge of the financial services industry , the product sells , corporate finance , credit systems/processes , and SME lending .
- Formal training or related certification is preferred .
- Excellent interpersonal , communication and training skills , including training in group settings;
- Ability to address issues , challenges , questions and concerns in a professional , respectful , logical and timely manner;
- Flexibility and adaptability to cross-cultural environments;
- Good writing and computer skills;
- Experience working in developing countries is preferred .
Closing on 1 November 2019
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org