Programme Analyst- Environment Job Opportunity at UNDP Tanzania
Title: Programme Analyst- Environment
Job ID 28553
Practice Area – Job Family Environment&Disaster Reduction – CLIMATE CHANGE AND RESILIANCE
Vacancy End Date (Midnight New York, USA) 07/02/2020
Duty Station Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, United Republic of
Education & Work Experience I-Master’s Level Degree – 3 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type External
Contract Duration 1 year
Opening for Tanzanian Citizen Only
BackgroundThe UNDP Tanzania Programme Team is striving to address both poverty and environmental degradation through investment and better governance to ensure empowerment of women, disabled as well as youth and enhance their participation in economic, environmental and governance issues. Our work is organized under three major pillars namely i) Inclusive Economic Growth, ii) Environmental sustainability, Climate Change & Resilience and iii) Inclusive Democratic Governance. The Inclusive growth pillar deals with poverty reduction, private sector development, social protection including addressing issues of unemployment and livelihoods strengthening. The Inclusive Democratic Governance pillar is set out to support effective, transparent, accountable and inclusive democratic governance, in line with the principal objectives outlined in the Tanzania Development Vision 2025 and Zanzibar Vision 2020, which include peace, stability, unity and good governance. The Environmental sustainability, Climate Change & Resilience pillar provides technical and financial assistance at national and subnational levels. At subnational levels, our support target districts that constitute highly degraded areas, aiming to reduce poverty through environmental conservation, employment creation and sustainable livelihoods. Priorities include support to articulation of a strong national response to threats to natural resources including deforestation, land degradation, loss of biodiversity and illegal wildlife trade. The Programme Analyst being employed will work under the Environmental sustainability, Climate Change & Resilience pillar and is expected to take active role in collaboration with UNDP country office teams to design, formulation, implementation, monitoring, reporting and evaluation of projects within the pillar and provides technical advice to government counterparts. The Programme Analyst supports the Programme Specialist and the team with the daily operations of projects, including project management in Atlas and in reporting. UNDP country office is expanding the Environment & Climate Change portfolio to accommodate the new areas of Blue Economy while scaling up some of the successful initiatives stemming from the existing portfolio. This move calls for more innovative support to the team hence the need to recruit a young dynamic programme analyst to be part of the team. The analyst shall contribute to the formulation of new initiatives in an integrated manner covering the coastal communities and the marine environment to harness the potentials for scaling up and take advantage of engaging in the blue economy. Along with this, the analyst shall support the establishment and management of partnerships with relevant key stakeholders to ensure full implementation of various projects in the pillar.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the guidance and direct supervision of the programme specialist , the Programme Analyst will provide support to ensure the efficient organization and servicing of the regular project management and implementation as follows;
- Ensure effective management of programmes within the thematic areas assigned focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the country programme achieving the following results:
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results
- Support the design and formulation of programme particularly within the management area and translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions
- Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies introduction of performance indicators/success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones.
- Ensure the project initiation and closure functions in ATLAS
- Provision of high-quality management analysis and information/report on the situation in programme, identification of operational and financial problems, and proposals for solutions
- Identifications and implementations of strategies to improve performance of nationally implemented projects and documentation of result and value for money for these.
- Accuracy, verification of Combined Delivery Reports and follow up on their signing by National Counterparts
- Periodic monitoring of dashboards and exceptions, identification of remedial actions in coordination with the supervisor
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of projects , identification and operational and financial problems, development of solutions and participation in audit of NEX projects
- Participation in audit processes as a management tool and follow up on audit recommendations . all exceptions are reported timely.
- Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes. Also, preparation of donor reports.
- Support quality assurance of strategy, programme and project documents in coordination with relevant programme staff and under the lead of the Deputy Resident Representative and Head of Programmes, including ensuring incorporation of key sections and mainstreaming gender, environment and social standards according to UNDP guidelines.
- Service high level meetings with Government and partners including producing a summary of key decisions and track follow-up actions with relevant staff.
- Attend programme meeting and/or operations management meetings
- Document internal and external consultations and lead on coordinating follow up with programme, programme finance, resource mobilization and communications staff as required
- Facilitate cohesion and collaboration within the UN system
- Guides procurement processes for NEX projects focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely and duly preparation of procurement plans for projects and monitoring of their implementation.
- Contribution to and application of strategic procurement strategies to support national implementation under UNDAP
- Working closely with the Procurement team to ensure the timely organization of RFQ, ITB or RFP, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, and their evaluation. Support the negotiations of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations
- Management of procurement contracts and, upon delegation of responsibility, performing the functions at Manager Level 1 in Atlas for PO and voucher approval.
- Support the management of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy in cooperation with the strategic Partnership Team, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Implementation of agreed partnership modalities under NEX
- Dialogues with key national partners on strategies to enhance results achievement under nationally implemented projects
- Identification of potential partnerships to enhance the quality and efficiency of programme delivery
- Development of partnerships with UN agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bilateral and multilateral donors, private sectors, civil society in the management area based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donor priorities.
- Contribution to the advancement of harmonization of UN implementation modalities in the context of Delivering as One.
- Ensure provision of top-quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievements of the following results:
- Contribution to knowledge building in the UN system in national planning, procurement and implementation processes in order to find ways of enhancing UN and UNDP support `strengthened project management practices and application of UNDP’s rules, regulations and policies as well as UN interagency agreements.
- Ensure and oversee the organization of trainings for operations/project staff and project counterparts on project management aspects – leadership in the organization of briefings and orientation on NEX processes.
- Contribution to interagency knowledge management activities under Delivering as One, particularly as relating to management and national implementation.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice, particularly in the area of project management
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Advocacy/advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Building strategic partnerships
- Innovation and marketing new approaches
- Resource mobilization (field duty stations)
- Results-based Management
- Job knowledge/Technical expertise
Required Skills and Experience
- A minimum of three years of paid working experience in providing policy advice and programme support in the area of sustainable environment and Climate change in different development context;
- Knowledge of development contexts preferably for Tanzania or East Africa region;
- Understanding of United Nations and preferably UNDP policy and programmatic approaches, including integrated and Sustainable Development approaches the leaves no one or place behind
- Knowledge of cross-cutting issues, including gender equality, human rights and Sustainable Development Goals;
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work in team, sharing information and coordinating efforts within the team;
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- On-the-ground work experience in developing countries preferably Tanzania and in Africa
- Working knowledge of English;
- Knowledge of any other UN language is an asset
- Knowledge of Kiswahili is an asset
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
Workforce diversityUNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.